The complete ScienceStart! Curriculum consists of daily lesson plans to be used in preschool classrooms for the entire school year. There are 10 units, grouped into 5 modules. Each unit contains 20 daily lesson plans.
With some exceptions, it is recommended that these modules be introduced in the order shown. With older preschoolers and Kindergartners, the supplementary unit Autumn Science can be used in place of Learning to Measure, or lessons from the two units can be interwoven. Lessons from the supplementary week Measuring to Cook can be used anytime during the year.
How A Unit Is Constructed
Each unit contains 20 daily lesson plans, as described in the next section. In addition, each unit contains:
- A Table of Contents for the 20 lessons
- A general introduction to reasons and methods for teaching science to young children
- A general introduction to the ScienceStart! Simple Science Cycle
- Basic background information for the teacher about the unit’s topic/content
- An overview of the month’s lessons, including titles for each day’s investigation and the aspects of literacy and mathematics that will be introduced each day
- For each week, a list of the materials and activities to be introduced in each classroom center (Dramatic Play, Art Center, Block Area, Manipulatives, Large Motor Play, Science Table).
How A Daily Lesson Plan Is Constructed
Each Daily Lesson Plan includes 3 pages:
- The first page offers a general overview that describes the science concepts being addressed, the day’s learning goals, the targeted vocabulary , and suggestions for discussing the day’s investigation.
- The second page suggests ways the teacher can integrate instruction in language and literacy skills with the day’s investigation. These suggestions cover five areas considered especially important by the US Department of Education, including SPEAKING & LISTENING, READING COMPREHENSION, ALPHABET KNOWLEDGE, PHONOLOGICAL AWARENESS and PRINT AWARENESS.
- The third page outlines the way the day’s investigation proceeds through the steps of the ScienceStart! Simple Science Cycle, REFLECT & ASK, PLAN & PREDICT, ACT & OBSERVE, and REPORT & REFLECT. A sidebar describes math activities that can be integrated into the day’s investigation.